At a time when it is difficult to plan any upcoming sporting events, we can still update you with an action-packed summary of achievements prior to the start of July. So many of our students have been excelling across the sporting landscape and they are to be congratulated for their achievements.
Government Guidelines and Impact on Sport
With the most recent update to the Stay at Home orders, all sport training, competition and activities have been suspended until further notice.
The Sport Department will keep you updated as often as reasonably practicable about a return to sport, training, and competitions.
Loreto Normanhurst Online Health and Wellbeing Program
The Sport Department is excited to announce the Online Health and Wellbeing Program for Primary and Secondary School Students for Term 3!
The program aims to assist all students to remain healthy and active during the time of remote learning by providing a variety of opportunities and resources. This holistic program encourages wellbeing in the areas of physical, mental, and emotional health, and provides a great opportunity for the whole household to get involved.
We encourage you to attempt as many of the activities/workouts each day as possible. Keep the Sport Department updated on your progress and send through any feedback that you may have.
New Sports Staff Member
I am delighted to introduce Miss Georgia Boric who will replacing Mrs Emily Wood while she is on Maternity Leave. Georgia has an extensive playing, coaching and administration background in both Rowing and Football, and is very excited about ensuring your daughters excel and develop as sportswomen within the Sport and Activities program. She will be overseeing all IPSHA (Primary) Sport, Primary and Secondary Activities and the AFL Program.
Alumni at Tokyo Olympic Games
We are so excited about the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games and the prospects for our Loreto Normanhurst alumnae Olympians representing Australia: Ellen Roberts (’09) and Liz Clay (’12).
Be sure you don’t miss Ellen’s first softball match against Japan on Wednesday 21st July and Liz’s first 100m Hurdles race on Saturday 31 July! Ellen and Liz, we send our very best wishes to you both and know that you will proudly carry that Normo spirit. #LetsGoLoreto!
Term 2 IGSA Basketball and Football Results
Following the completion of the term 2 IGSA Basketball and Football, we would like to congratulate the following teams who finished as Champions or Runners up in their respective grade!
|Football – Runners Up||Basketball – Champions||Basketball – Runners Up|
The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award
Congratulations to Ella Donlevy (Year 12), Ella Kissick (Year 12) and Thea Whittaker (Year 12) who have been granted their Gold Awards. These students have persevered and shown commitment across various activities in order to complete the rigorous requirements of the Gold Award. Well done to these three ladies for this fantastic achievement!
North West Equestrian Expo Coonabarabran
It was an incredible five days at the North West Equestrian Expo in Coonabarabran in early June. Our Loreto riders not only looked fabulous, they also achieved some outstanding results:
- Felicity Orman (Year 11) – 2nd in 2-16 hands Hack, 2nd in Team of Fours, 3rd in Pair of Riders, 7th in Time Trial, 8th Bending Race, 10th C Grade ODE
- Taylor Lewis (Year 11) –2nd in Team of Fours, 2nd in Over 16 hands Hack, 2nd in A2 105cm Jumping, 3rd in A7 105cm Jumping, 3rd in Pair of Riders and 7th in the Team 6 Bar Challenge
- Emmersen Mitchell (Year 10) – Elementary Dressage Champion, CT 45cm Champion, Show Hunter Galloway Champion, Rider Class Runner Up
- Ruby Dew (Year 9) – 3rd B Grade Polocrosse, 9th in the Working Horse Challenge
- Sophie Maclean (Year 9) – 2nd Bending Race, 2nd Barrel Race, 3rd B Grade Polocrosse, 7th Team Hunt
- Ellie Wentworth Brown (Year 8) – 2nd in Team of Fours, 3rd in 14.2-15 hand Hack, 5th in Pair of Riders
- Allie Maclean (Year 7) – 12 Years Sporting Champion, 1st Flag Race, 1st Bending Race, 1st Barrel Race, 1st Time Trial, 3rd Warrumbungle Way, 3rd B Grade Polocrosse, 7th in the Working Horse Challenge, 7th in Team Hunt
- Ellie Whittaker (Year 7) – 1st 60cm Show Jumping, 2nd in Team of Fours, 3rd Pleasure Hack, 3rd Bareback Rider, 7th in Team Hunt, 9th in CT 60cm
- Lottie Ryan (Year 7) – Lottie was sitting in 9th place after the first phase of her combined training event when her horse was vetted out of competition. In true Loreto spirit, Lottie jumped in as team strapper and stable hand. Lottie was on hand to help all the girls and cheered them on in their events while also taking care of her injured horse. Well done, Lottie!
Overall, Loreto was represented in every discipline offered at the Coona Expo except team penning. We also had all our riders compete in events they have never participated in before. This shows the remarkable diversity in the girls’ riding ability and is an amazing accomplishament!
A huge thank you goes to Jacqui Orman (Team Manager) and Rachel Maclean (Catering Manager) for all their time and hard work leading up to and during the event. Thank you also to all the parents who came and supported the Loreto Equestrian Team over the five days. Together, you made this such a wonderful experience.
NSWCIS Cross Country
The following students did Loreto proud last term at the CIS Cross Country Championships after running in some very tough conditions. Well done girls!
• Seren D’Souza (Year 5) – 11 Girls 3km race
• Neve Tierney (Year 9) – 15 Girls 4km race
• Elli Barron (Year 10) – 16 Girls 4km race
• Zara Warland (Year 11) – 17 Girls 4km race
NSWCIS Touch Football Championships
Congratulations to the following students who were selected to represent NSWCIS in September at the NSWCIS Touch Football Championships, after competing in the recent CIS Touch Football Championships:
- Sophie Kavanagh (Year 11)
- Jessica Stout (Year 11)
- Emma Wilkinson (Year 11)
NSWCIS Rugby 7’s Championships
Mia Jones (Year 10) and Tamsyn Cairns (Year 11) played some exceptional rugby at the CIS Rugby 7’s Tournament last term, with the team coming away with a bronze medal! Congratulations to both girls, as Mia was selected in the NSWCIS team and Tamsyn was named a shadow.
Congratulations to Skye Halmarick (Year 8) who has been selected as a member of the 2021 NSW Metropolitan U15 Cricket Team. Great work, Skye!
Congratulations to Charlotte Spooner (Year 7), Laura Nutt (Year 9) and Rhiannon Doyle (Year 9) who represented Sydney North West at the recent State Championships with distinction.
Further congratulations to Charlotte who has also been selected as a member of the 2021 NSW U13 Hockey Squad. Fantastic work, Charlotte!
NSWCIS Primary Touch Football Trials
Congratulations to Tessa Young (Year 5) who was selected into the CIS Primary Girls Touch Football Team. Such a fantastic achievement, well done Tessa!
NSWPSSA Football Championships
Well done to Gabriella Connell (Year 6) who competed at the NSWPSSA Football Championships over three days as part of the CIS team. The CIS team finished as runners up of the entire tournament, losing only 1-0 in the nail-biting final!
Loreto Sports Girl: Ruth Hosie, Year 9
Current sport/activity: Football.
Favourite school sport/activity: Football.
Highest level of sporting achievement: PSSA State Football and IGSA football representative.
Best moment of Loreto Sport for you: Being asked to play for the Senior 1st team.
Favourite sporting moment as a spectator: Asian Cup – when the Socceroos won!
Best subject at school: PASS (Physical Activity and Sports Studies)
Any superstitions before playing sport: Wearing my lucky pyjamas the night before a game.
Best tune to listen to before competing: Pump it up.
Wet Weather Information
Currently, no sport is proceeding due to Stay at Home orders across multiple NSW regions. For future reference during wet weather:
IGSSA Sports: https://m.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/venues
IPSHA Sports: via the IPSHA Sport App – search for ‘IPSHA’ in the App Store
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Kristie Greville
Miss Georgia Boric
|IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs Laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
|The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 3 Sport, when competition commences:
– IGSA Hockey: LN polo, LN skort/shorts, gold socks, molded football boots, shin pads and mouthguard.
– IGSA Netball: LN singlet, LN skort, white socks, non-marking sandshoes.
– Hills Netball: LN singlet, LN skort, white socks, non-marking sandshoes.
– IPSHA Touch Football: LN singlet top, LN shorts, white socks, molded football boots
– Rugby 7’s: LN Rugby Jersey, LN Rugby shorts, white socks, mouthguard, molded football boots
We love to see photos of our students getting physically active and staying engaged in sport. During lockdown, we would love to see your whole household participate in our Online Health and Wellbeing program via Canvas. Please send through any photos or videos to email@example.com
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
If you’re on Instagram, follow us at the newly created @loretonhsport page.
Sport Contacts Term 3 2021
- IPSHA Sports Co-ordinator – Miss Georgia Boric
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Miss Georgia Boric
- IGSA Netball Co-ordinator – Mr David Brock
- IGSA Hockey Co-ordinator – Mr Stephen Charters
- Hills Netball Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Rugby 7’S Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Hayden Fitness Centre Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Miss Geogia Boric
- Head of Rowing – Mr Ian Edmunds
- Cheerleading Co-ordinator – Miss Geogia Boric
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award – Mrs Laura Bryan and Mr David Brock
- Acting Head of Sport – Mr David Brock
Mr David Brock
Acting Head of Sport