Welcome and welcome back!
On behalf of the Loreto Normanhurst Sport team, it’s my great pleasure to welcome everyone to LN Sport 2021 and all the fun and games we have in store!
I would like to extend a special welcome to those girls and families joining our community this year; we can’t wait to see you out on the field or court, in the pool, in the boat, on the horse, skis or board, on the track, in the gym or on the stage, or on any other surface or apparatus I’ve missed, representing Loreto Normanhurst!
We were very proud last year about how we were able to manage the evolving situation around COVID-19 and still deliver so many opportunities to our students in a safe and challenging environment. We will be bringing the same approach to sport this year, ensuring that all girls at Loreto Normanhurst are given every opportunity to participate in sport and physical activity whilst not compromising the health and safety of our students and the community. As we’re all no doubt aware, the guidance and regulations in place do change on a regular basis, and so as they change, we too will ensure we adapt and comply, and we appreciate your patience and understanding as those changes are made.
Currently, whilst IGSSA, IPSHA and AFL NSW have approved for spectators to attend venues, it is the decision of the school hosting each venue to decide their spectator rules and guidelines. Information specific to certain sports and/or venues will be available on the sport-specific Canvas pages, on the IGSSA mobile site or the IPSHA app.
Spectators are welcome at all fixtures at Loreto Normanhurst, provided they have no symptoms of COVID-19 and have not attended any of the COVID case locations listed on the NSW Government COVID-19 News and Updates page. There are no limits to the number of spectators that may accompany a player, however all spectators will be expected to abide by the following when attending fixtures:
– All spectators will be required to sign in via a QR code, which will be located at each entrance upon arriving at the venue.
– All spectators must maintain a 1.5m distance from other spectators at all times and avoid congregating near players and coaching staff where possible.
– Once your daughter’s fixture has finished, all players and spectators must leave the venue as soon as possible.
I look forward to seeing you all around the grounds this year and can’t wait to get cracking on another fantastic year of Loreto Normanhurst Sport!
Saturday arrangements – 30th January
This weekend, there will be only a small group of our student athletes in action, as there are no fixtures for IGSSA, IPSHA, AFL NSW or LN Badminton competitions.
Training and grading sessions for the following teams will take place at Loreto Normanhurst on Saturday 30th January:
- Year 7 Softball – School Oval | 8:00am – 9:30am
- Year 7 Tennis – School Tennis Courts | 8:00am – 10:00am
- Year 7 & 8 AFL – School Oval | 8:00am – 10:00am
- Year 7-12 Badminton – School Gym | 8:00am – 10:00am
- Year 5 & 6 Water Polo/Flippaball – School Aquatic Centre | 8:00am – 9:30am
- Year 5 & 6 Football – School Oval | 8:00am – 9:30am
All students will meet in the School Gym at 7:45am for a short briefing before heading out to their allocated areas. Parents can use the Oval car park off Osborn Rd to drop off and collect their daughters.
Also on Saturday 30th January, we will hold our Secondary School Tennis Championships at Mills Park Tennis Centre from 8:30am – 12:30pm, which will also double as a selection session for our Tildesley Tennis team to compete later in the term.
Rowing training will proceed as scheduled and Mr Edmunds will provide further information on that via the Spanner newsletter.
If you have any questions about any of the above information, please refer to the ‘Who to see about what’ table further on in the newsletter.
Whilst the majority of our sports resume this weekend, our rowers have already been putting in the hard yards in 2021 as they participated in the annual January Rowing Camp, which was held this year at SIRC and the Nepean River. It was an amazing week of hard work, with the whole program being put through their paces by our magnificent coaching cohort under the expert leadership of Mr Edmunds. There were the usual accidental capsizes (and, given the very warm weather, the occasional deliberate one!), and blistered hands as far as the eye could see, but the girls showed their grit and were able to put out some impressive performances. A big thanks to Mr Edmunds and his team of coaches, and to the support staff who drove the girls out and back each day.
Term 2 Sport Nominations
With the school year only just resuming, we’re already turning our attention to Term 2 Sport Nominations for both Primary and Secondary Students.
Nominations will go live on Monday 1st February, and the window will be open for 2 weeks, closing on Friday 12th February for all students except the Year 7 cohort. The Year 7 cohort will be walking through the process during your Conversation period on Wednesday 17th February, and as such the Year 7 nomination window will be extended to Friday 19th February.
All students and families will receive an Announcement via Canvas with the relevant information regarding how to nominate:
– Secondary nominations are submitted online via the link provided.
– Primary nominations are submitted via a PDF form that will be included in the Announcement.
As always, please make sure your nomination has been submitted prior to the nomination window closing – all nominations received prior to the window closing are guaranteed a spot in the sport selected, however any nominations received after that date will be subject to spaces being available.
With the Primary School Swimming Carnival already in the books last year, there is still an opportunity for our incoming Year 5 and new Year 6 students to swim for selection into the Loreto Normanhurst Primary Swim Team to compete at the IPSHA Swim Carnival later this term. All new Primary students are invited to attend the trials, which will be held in the LN Aquatic Centre on Wednesday 3 February at 3:30pm. Please note that this is not a learn-to-swim activity – these trials are for students interested in selection into our representative team, so we recommend this event for students with swimming experience.
Following this, we will be offering the same opportunity to our new Secondary students, with new Secondary Student Swim Trials taking place in the LN Aquatic Centre on Wednesday 24 February at 3:30pm. These are open to any student that didn’t participate in either the Secondary Carnival or the Primary Carnival last year.
If you have any questions about either of these events, please contact the Sport Department for further information.
- Good luck to our crews competing at the NSW State Rowing Championships on 6th/7th February at SIRC!
- Good luck to our Primary trialists who will be competing for a spot in the IPSHA Basketball and IPSHA Tennis teams on the 8th and 12th February respectively (nominations close on Monday 1st February and Friday 5th February respectively).
- Good luck to our softballers taking part in the IGSSA Softball Representative Trials on 12th February (nominations close on Monday 1st February).
- Good luck to our cricketers taking part in the CIS Cricket Trials on Friday 12th February (nominations close on Friday 5th February).
If you have any questions regarding any of these trials, please contact the Sport Department ASAP.
Wet Weather Information
IGSSA Sports: https://m.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/venues
IPSHA Sports: (via the app)
Secondary AFL: All wet weather updates/cancellations for Secondary AFL will be announced via the Sport Facebook & Twitter accounts.
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to email@example.com
Mr Matt Mulroney
Mrs Kristie Greville
Mrs Emily Wood
|Snowsports||IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs Laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance, for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 1 Sport
– IGSSA Tennis: LN singlet or polo, LN skort, white socks, non-marking sandshoes, LN cap.
– IGSSA Softball: LN polo, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots or softball clears, LN cap, mouthguard, shin pads, softball glove.
– LN Invitational Badminton: LN polo, LN shorts, white socks, non-marking sandshoes.
– ISC AFL: LN AFL guernsey, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots, mouthguard.
– Rowing: LN zootie, LN cap, white UV shirt
– IPSHA Football: LN polo, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots
– IPSHA Flippaball/Water Polo: LN racing swimsuit.
We love to see photos of our students getting physically active and staying engaged in sport. Please send through any photos or videos to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
Saturday Sports BBQ
There will be no Sports BBQ this term.
Sport Contacts Term 1 2021
- IPSHA Sports Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- IGSSA Tennis Co-ordinator – Mr David Brock
- Badminton Co-ordinator – Mr Stephen Charters
- IGSSA Softball Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- AFL Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Hayden Fitness Centre Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Head of Rowing – Mr Ian Edmunds
- Cheerleading Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Duke of Edinburgh – Mrs Laura Bryan
- Head of Sport – Mr Matt Mulroney
For IGSSA competitions the full draw points table, venue lists and wet weather details are also available from the IGSSA website here.
Mr Matthew Mulroney
Head of Sport