Last Friday, we launched the LN Sport Canvas page for students and parents to provide the school community with a broad range of information on everything Sport at Loreto Normanhurst. This page will become your go-to point for all info on sport, including draws and upcoming events, sport specific resources and other information such as attendance and uniform policies.
I have had a couple of parents ask me about the difference between the LN Sport page, FACE Online and the Sentral Parent Portal. LN Sport and FACE Online are both on the Canvas platform – if you’ve logged into FACE Online, click the Dashboard button and follow the links via the LNH Extra-Curricular button. Alternatively, if you open your Sentral Parent Portal, a link to FACE Online will be in your ‘Links’ section, and that will take you to your Canvas Dashboard. From there, follow the links via the LNH Extra-Curricular page.
We’ve had some very positive and constructive feedback so far – please keep sending it through so we can keep refining the resource into a one-stop-shop hub for all sport information at Loreto Normanhurst!
Queen of the Track
It was the Queen of the Track, but not as we know it! What started as planning for the Secondary School Athletics Carnival, way back at the beginning of the year, finished with the Queen of the Track being run on the oval with a commentary broadcast to the school on Wednesday. Emceed by our outgoing Sport Captain, Greta Kraszula (Year 12), and Ward House Captain, Mia Circosta (Year 12), it was wonderful to try and capture just a little of the carnival and community atmosphere that we love so much at our usual Athletic Carnivals.
Twenty-eight students ran across seven heats for us to find the 10 finalists. Sophie Kavanagh (Year 10) took home the crown, leading from start to finish to win the 2020 Queen of the Track. Well done Sophie and all our competitors.
A big thanks to Dave Brock who coordinated the event, and another big thanks to the ICT Department who were able to smoothly broadcast the event to classrooms across the school!
Duke of Edinburgh Award
Congratulations to Catherine Baxter (Year 12) and Lihara Delungahawatte (Year 12) for their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards. A Gold Award requires self-motivation, dedication and perseverance and we applaud Catherine and Lihara on this wonderful achievement!
Staying Safe at Sport
As a reminder, the following protocols are in currently in place for LN Sport:
- IGSSA have advised that there will be no spectators permitted to attend IGSSA events in Term 3, including all Saturday Sport.
- All parents are asked to comply with this requirement; there will be a drop off/pick up plan in place for all IGSSA fixtures.
- Primary AFL and Touch Football fixtures will continue at Loreto Normanhurst on Saturday morning – please be advised that these will be spectator-free events.
- Hills Netball have updated their procedures in light of the recent advice from NSW Health – all families have received an email from Kristie Greville outlining the updated guidance.
- Rugby 7’s fixtures at Pymble Ladies’ College are spectator-free events.
We appreciate your ongoing patience and cooperation with these protocols.
Loreto Sports Girl: Sigourney Berkery
Current sport/activity: At the moment I’m playing hockey both school and club, as well as rugby for school.
Favourite school sport/activity: Throughout my time at Loreto, I have tried to participate in all different sports and each term I have so much fun. However, at the moment, my favourite school sport would have to be hockey.
Highest level of sporting achievement: The highest level of sport I have reached is NSW Hockey and NSW All Schools.
Best moment of Loreto Sport for you: My best moment of sport at Loreto would have to be when we played our rivals, PLC, in the hockey grand finals. It was a nail-biting game, being a 2-2 draw all game which had to go into extra time. During extra time, as the ball was hit down the field, I was watching it get closer to the goal, hoping one of my teammates would get to the post to tap it in, and of course she did. It was the best feeling as we all ran in together, hugging and cheering, showing the Loreto spirit.
Favourite sporting moment as a spectator: My favourite sporting moment as a spectator was watching Loreto Senior Firsts battle it out with Pymble Senior Firsts in netball, a game which I have never played. This had to be my favourite spectating moment due to the fact that so many girls came to watch this particular game, even if they had never played the sport. It showed the Normo spirit and comradeship Normo girls have with one another.
Best subject at school: My favourite subject at school is either Maths or PE.
Any superstitions before playing sport: As I get on the field, just before the whistle is about to go, I do three jumps as it gets me hyped and gives me a burst of energy.
Best tune to listen to before competing: I always listen to a pump-up song before I play any game. At the moment, the tune I listen to before any game is Push the Feeling On. It just gets me going and gets me hyped.
Wet Weather Information
Please make sure you check the relevant wet weather sites for any news regarding cancellations.
IGSSA Sports: https://m.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/venues
IPSHA Sports: (via the app)
Hills Netball: HDNA Wet Weather Information
Rugby 7’s: Please check the Loreto Normanhurst Sport Facebook or Twitter page after 11:30am.
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
MR MATT MULRONEY
MRs Kristie Greville
Mrs Emily Wood
|Snowsports||IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 3 Sport:
- IGSSA Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IGSSA Hockey: LN polo, LN skort, long gold socks, moulded football boots, LN cap, mouthguard, shin pads.
- Rugby 7’s: LN Rugby jersey, LN Rugby shorts, white sport socks, football boots.
- Hills Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IPSHA AFL: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, long gold socks, moulded football boots.
- IPSHA Touch Football: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, white socks, moulded football boots.
Whilst we aren’t able to engage in our usual sporting program on Saturday mornings and midweek trainings, we would still love to see photos of our students getting physically active and staying engaged in sport. Please send through any photos or videos you have of LN girls staying active at home to email@example.com
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
Sport Contacts Term 3 2020
- IPSHA Sports Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- IGSSA Netball Co-ordinator – Mr David Brock
- IGSSA Hockey Co-ordinator – Mr Stephen Charters
- Hills Netball Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Rugby 7’s – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Hayden Fitness Centre Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Head of Rowing – Mr Ian Edmunds
- Cheerleading Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Duke of Edinburgh – Mrs Laura Bryan
- Head of Sport – Mr Matt Mulroney
For IGSSA competitions the full draw points table, venue lists and wet weather details are also available from the IGSSA website here.
Mr Matthew Mulroney
Head of Sport