A week is a long time in sport – we’ve had competitions suspended and resumed, carnivals cancelled, opponents regionalised, and concepts thought and rethought, all in the pursuit of creating opportunities for our girls to get out and play each Saturday.
We’ve been working closely with our various governing bodies and have been able to ensure that all of our programs have been able to continue in some capacity. Our newly created Upper North Shore region within IGSSA includes Abbotsleigh, Brigidine and Pymble. We’ll also be arranging some fixtures with Abbotsleigh and Pymble for our Primary students, and the Rugby 7’s fixtures will be limited to the same two opponents. Hills Netball will be continuing under the Community Sport guidelines as we look to finish off that truncated season.
The support and patience of our Normo Sport community has been much appreciated during this period of uncertainty, and I want to give a special shout out to my team of Sport Administrators; they’ve been working tirelessly since we announced Sport was going offline way back in March to adapt to the ever-changing landscape and deliver opportunities for our girls to participate in sport and physical activity safely.
We know the latest changes won’t be the last we’ll need to manage, but I am certain that our Loreto Normanhurst sportsgirls will ride the bumps with a grin and be ready for each challenge they face, either on or off the field.
Good luck to everyone getting out for a hit, kick, pass, shot, run or row this weekend!
Sport Captain 2020/21
A huge congratulations to Abby Feurtado, who is your Loreto Normanhurst Sport Captain for 2020/21!
Abby has been a very active member of the Sport program since starting at Loreto Normanhurst in the Primary School in 2015. There are very few sports that Abby hasn’t given a crack during her time here, and she’s been a regular high achiever in the pool, where at this year’s IGSSA Carnival, she took home two 3rd place ribbons in the 18’s 50 Freestyle and 50 Butterfly before backing up to finish 2nd in the 4x50m Senior Freestyle relay.
I look forward to working with Abby and hearing her ideas about how to continue to grow sport and physical activity opportunities at Loreto Normanhurst.
Duke of Edinburgh Award
Congratulations to Bianca Meleca (Year 12) and Caitlin La Rose (Year 12) who have been granted their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards. Both girls have employed self-motivation, dedication and perseverance in order complete the Gold Award requirements. Well done Bianca and Caitlin!
Staying Safe at Sport
As a reminder, the following protocols are in currently in place for LN Sport:
- IGSSA have advised that there will be no spectators permitted to attend IGSSA events in Term 3, including all Saturday Sport.
- All parents are asked to comply with this requirement; there will be a drop off/pick up plan in place for all IGSSA fixtures.
- Primary AFL and Touch Football fixtures will begin at Loreto Normanhurst next Saturday morning (29th August) – please be advised that these will be spectator-free events. Further information regarding these fixtures will be distributed next week.
- Hills Netball have updated their procedures in light of the recent advice from NSW Health and no spectators will be allowed at the venue until further notice.
- Rugby 7’s fixtures at Pymble Ladies’ College are spectator-free events.
We appreciate your ongoing patience and cooperation with these protocols.
Loreto Sports Girl: Ella Khoury
Current sport/activity: Netball.
Favourite school sport/activity: I love debating and public speaking as it helps me gain confidence.
Highest level of sporting achievement: The highest level of sporting achievement I have is winning 1st place with my team in netball.
Best moment of Loreto Sport for you: The best moment of Loreto sporting would have to be when I won a medal at my first rowing regatta. My team, although they hadn’t been together for long, made it over the finish line just seconds before the other team and won a bronze medal.
Favourite sporting moment as a spectator: My favourite sporting moment as a spectator was running alongside one of my fellow rowers as she single-skulled a 1 km. She came 4th, and it was an awesome experience and I loved running with my other friends watching her fight for her top five place.
Best subject at school: Italian. It is helping me expand my horizons and it is a lot of fun learning a new language.
Best tune to listen to before competing: Fight Song by Rachel Platter. In Year 3 my mum would play it for my soccer team at every game to cheer us on. I would listen to it on the way to my games and still do sometimes. It always makes me feel better and makes me play better.
Wet Weather Information
Please make sure you check the relevant wet weather sites for any news regarding cancellations.
IGSSA Sports: https://m.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/venues
IPSHA Sports: (via the app)
Hills Netball: HDNA Wet Weather Information
Rugby 7’s: Please check the Loreto Normanhurst Sport Facebook or Twitter page after 11:30am.
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to email@example.com
MR MATT MULRONEY
MRs Kristie Greville
Mrs Emily Wood
|Snowsports||IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 3 Sport:
- IGSSA Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IGSSA Hockey: LN polo, LN skort, long gold socks, moulded football boots, LN cap, mouthguard, shin pads.
- Rugby 7’s: LN Rugby jersey, LN Rugby shorts, white sport socks, football boots.
- Hills Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IPSHA AFL: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, long gold socks, moulded football boots.
- IPSHA Touch Football: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, white socks, moulded football boots.
Whilst we aren’t able to engage in our usual sporting program on Saturday mornings and midweek trainings, we would still love to see photos of our students getting physically active and staying engaged in sport. Please send through any photos or videos you have of LN girls staying active at home to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
Sport Contacts Term 3 2020
- IPSHA Sports Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- IGSSA Netball Co-ordinator – Mr David Brock
- IGSSA Hockey Co-ordinator – Mr Stephen Charters
- Hills Netball Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Rugby 7’s – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Hayden Fitness Centre Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Head of Rowing – Mr Ian Edmunds
- Cheerleading Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Duke of Edinburgh – Mrs Laura Bryan
- Head of Sport – Mr Matt Mulroney
For IGSSA competitions the full draw points table, venue lists and wet weather details are also available from the IGSSA website http://www.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/IGSSA.aspx
Mr Matthew Mulroney
Head of Sport