Term 3 Sports
With a couple of weeks of Term 3 Saturday sport already in the bag, it’s been fantastic to see the resilience and adaptability our girls have shown in the face of these unique circumstances. I was particularly struck on Saturday, as I watched netball in the gym, how noticeable the absence of the hum and the cheer of the crowd was. However, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that Normo girls will give it their all under all circumstances. As we continue to navigate Term 3, I want to acknowledge all the parents and supporters, particularly those who were in Frensham last weekend, who are getting our girls to their games and allowing them to compete in a safe environment.
Looking ahead to this weekend, there is a bit of inclement weather predicted. As always, please check the relevant wet weather information page/app/source for the latest updates before you leave home tomorrow. Please note: an announcement regarding Rugby 7’s training for Saturday afternoon will be posted to the Loreto Normanhurst Sport Facebook and Twitter pages no later than 11:30am on Saturday morning.
Staying safe at Sport
As a reminder, the following protocols are in currently in place for LN Sport:
- IGSSA have advised that there will be no spectators permitted to attend IGSSA events in Term 3, including all Saturday Sport, the Friday Night Twilight Athletics Carnival and the IGSSA Track & Field Championships.
- All parents are asked to comply with this requirement. There will be a drop off/pick up plan in place for all fixtures hosted at Loreto Normanhurst on Saturdays.
- IPSHA have advised that spectators will be permitted on a ‘one parent/guardian per student’ ratio.
- Hills Netball are allowing one spectator per player, however they have requested that spectators stay away if possible and only attend matches if it’s necessary; a position supported by Loreto Normanhurst Sport.
- Rugby 7’s Gala Days are currently conducting all planning for gala days to operate under a ‘no spectator’ rule.
We appreciate your ongoing patience and cooperation with these protocols.
Term 4 Sport Nominations
Nominations for Secondary Students to participate in IGSSA Touch Football, IGSSA Water Polo, HKDTA Tennis and Rowing closed this afternoon. If your daughter has not submitted a nomination but would still like to participate in Term 4, please ask her to email the Sport Department ASAP.
Nominations for Primary Sports will open on Monday – parents will receive an email with the nomination form for students to participate in IPSHA Basketball, IPSHA Cricket or IPSHA Tennis. The nomination window will be open for two weeks, closing on Friday 21 August.
A big congratulations to Grace Gillies (Year 11) and Lilly Dean (Year 11) on their appointments as School Captain and Vice-Captain respectively for 2020/21.
Both girls have been stellar sportswomen during their time at Normo.
- Grace has represented Loreto Normanhurst at the highest levels in rowing and netball; she was a member of both the State Champion Netball Schools Cup team and the victorious Senior 1sts team last season, and has played numerous other sports, including HKDTA Tennis and IGSSA Basketball.
- Lilly has also represented Loreto Normanhurst in rowing and netball at the highest levels and was also a member of the State Champion Netball Schools Cup team. Lilly has tried almost every sport Normo has to offer – she’s been a member of our Snowsports and Tildesley Tennis teams, she’s played IGSSA Football and IGSSA Basketball and still found time for tennis lessons on the side.
We are excited to see how both girls exhibit their leadership that we have already seen in action from both of them over the past five years on the court, on the oval or in the boat. Good luck, girls!
Unfortunately due to the heavy rain, the IGSSA Twilight Carnival scheduled for this evening has been postponed until next Friday 14 August. This event will double as our selection trials for the upcoming IGSSA Track & Field Championship. Usually, we would have the School Carnival as well as four Twilight meets in preparation for the IGSSA Champs, however this year that has had to be reduced. This season’s athletics program is about providing opportunities to our athletes, so we’re looking forward to seeing them in action next Friday!
The IGSSA Track & Field Championships will be held on Thursday 20 August and Friday 21 August, with a modified format. The major change is that all events (aside from the 12’s, 13’s and 14’s 100m) will be held in Junior, Intermediate and Senior divisions as opposed to age groups. This decision has been made to ensure that the Carnival complies with venue conditions. Team selections will be made after the Twilight meet on Friday 14 August and announced to students early the following week.
Optional sessions will be starting again next week for students who have nominated for the upcoming rowing season. A reminder to all students involved that your regular Term 3 training sessions will take priority over optional rowing sessions.
All the information including the session timetable and the student attendance form is on the Rowing Canvas page so make sure you check it out for all the latest info.
Loreto Sports Girl: Jodie Drever
Current sport/activity: Soccer, tennis, hockey and water polo.
Favourite school sport/activity: My favourite sport is soccer.
Highest level of sporting achievement: When I played for the State Titles and I was awarded Goalkeeper of the Year award for my soccer club.
Best moment of Loreto Sport for you: Competing in the Tildesley tennis shield competition.
Favourite sporting moment as a spectator: When I watched the Matildas beat Chile live.
Best subject at school: Science.
Any superstitions before playing sport: I always touch either side of the post before the beginning of the match.
Best tune to listen to before competing: Heroes tonight by Janji and Electric Love by BORNS.
Wet Weather Information
Please make sure you check the relevant wet weather sites for any news regarding cancellations.
IGSSA Sports: https://m.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/venues
IPSHA Sports: (via the app)
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to email@example.com
MR MATT MULRONEY
MRs Kristie Greville
Mrs Emily Wood
|Snowsports||IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 3 Sport:
- IGSSA Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IGSSA Hockey: LN polo, LN skort, long gold socks, moulded football boots, LN cap, mouthguard, shin pads.
- Rugby 7’s: LN Rugby jersey, LN Rugby shorts, white sport socks, football boots.
- Hills Netball: LN Netball singlet, LN netball skort, netball white socks, netball shoes.
- IPSHA AFL: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, long gold socks, moulded football boots.
- IPSHA Touch Football: LN navy sport polo or navy singlet, LN shorts, white socks, moulded football boots.
Whilst we aren’t able to engage in our usual sporting program on Saturday mornings and midweek trainings, we would still love to see photos of our students getting physically active and staying engaged in sport. Please send through any photos or videos you have of LN girls staying active at home to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
Sport Contacts Term 3 2020
- IPSHA Sports Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- IGSSA Netball Co-ordinator – Mr David Brock
- IGSSA Hockey Co-ordinator – Mr Stephen Charters
- Hills Netball Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Rugby 7’s – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Hayden Fitness Centre Co-ordinator – Mrs Kristie Greville
- Midweek Activities Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Head of Rowing – Mr Ian Edmunds
- Cheerleading Co-ordinator – Mrs Emily Wood
- Duke of Edinburgh – Mrs Laura Bryan
- Head of Sport – Mr Matt Mulroney
For IGSSA competitions the full draw points table, venue lists and wet weather details are also available from the IGSSA website http://www.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/IGSSA.aspx
Mr Matthew Mulroney
Head of Sport