It was a wet and wild weekend last weekend, but our rowers were still in action out at the NSW State Championships at Penrith on Saturday and Sunday. There were some awesome (oarsome?) efforts, with the highlight being our Schoolgirl Coxed 4 of Lillian Dean (Year 11), Grace Gillies (Year 11), Paige Critchlow (Year 10), Molly Pringle (Year 12) and Elizabeth Bolster (Year 11) finishing second in a strong field to bring home a silver medal! Big congrats to all our competitors in what were very challenging conditions.
Well done to Eliza King (Year 9), Chelsea Gleeson (Year 8), Peyton Henderson (Year 11) and Kendal Henderson (Year 8) who were all selected in the IGSSA Squad for the upcoming CIS Championships! All four girls trialed really well and we look forward to hearing how they go representing IGSSA later this term.
Some more fantastic news from the Normo Softball world, as ex-students Tahli Moore (’12) and Ellen Roberts (’09) have both been included in the 20-woman preliminary squad for Olympic selections! This is huge news for both girls and we’ve got our fingers and toes crossed that their names are both on the list when the final squad of 15 is announced ahead of Tokyo – good luck girls!
A huge congrats to Greta Kraszula (Year 12) and Tayla Moore (Year 6) who are being honoured tonight at the CIS Awards Evening for their awesome achievements in representative sport in 2019. Greta was a member of the National Championship winning NSW Football squad, and Tayla won a National Championship in Softball for NSW as well as performing amazingly well at the National Athletics Championships. Two incredible sportswomen – well done, girls!
With a bit of a false start last weekend for most of our sports, I hope you’re all looking forward to a big weekend this weekend! Just a reminder for all students and parents around the expectations for Saturday sport:
- -Please make sure you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of your game to sign in and meet your coach. This 30 minutes is really important to ensure that you get a really good warm up in and be full prepared for your fixture.
- Please make sure you are in the appropriate sport uniform for your fixture and that you have all necessary equipment and safety gear, such as mouthguards or shinpads. Each sport has a different uniform and equipment requirement, so please check the Correct Uniform section below for what you need.
- To all our students competing in the Victorian Open Swimming Championships in Melbourne this weekend.
- To all our students competing in the Junior State Cup Touch Football Competition in Port Macquarie.
- To our swimmers taking part in the Pymble Invitational event on Wednesday 19th.
- To our tennis squad, who are competing for the title of Loreto Normanhurst School Tennis Champion over the next two weeks in singles and doubles.
- To our triathletes who will be competing in the NSW All Schools Triathlon on February 27th and 28th.
Wet Weather Information
A reminder for how to access information regarding ground closures due to wet weather for weekend sport. Please make sure you check the relevant website prior to leaving home to ensure your venue is open for play.
Who to see about what?
As a handy reference guide, the table below outlines the staff members who are responsible for sports and activities throughout the year. All enquiries about sport at Loreto should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
MR MATT MULRONEY
MRs Kristie Greville
Mrs Emily Wood
|Snowsports||IGSSA Softball||IPSHA Sports & Carnivals|
|Cross Country Pathway||LN Activities Program|
|IGSSA Touch Football||IGSSA Football|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||AFL|
Mr Stephen Charters
Mr David Brock
Mr Ian Edmunds
Mrs laura Bryan
|LN Invitational Badminton||IGSSA Tennis||Rowing||The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program|
|Mollie Dive Hockey||IGSSA Basketball|
|IGSSA Water Polo||IGSSA Netball|
|Athletics Pathway||Hornsby Tennis|
|Secondary School Carnivals|
Correct Sport Uniform
An important note regarding correct sport uniform for Saturday competition sport.
Students who are not dressed in the correct uniform for competition will NOT be allowed to play. In the case that no Loreto Sport Staff member is present, your team coach will have the authority to remove a student from play and/or not allow a student to start play. Thank you in advance, for your cooperation in this matter. It is our expectation that you will be appropriately dressed and in uniform while representing Loreto Normanhurst.
Here is the list of required items for matches for each Term 1 Sport:
– IGSSA Tennis: LN singlet or polo, LN skort, white socks, non-marking sandshoes, LN cap.
– IGSSA Softball: LN polo, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots or softball clears, LN cap, mouthguard, shin pads, softball glove.
– LN Invitational Badminton: LN polo, LN shorts, white socks, non-marking sandshoes.
– ISC AFL: LN AFL guernsey, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots, mouthguard.
– Rowing: LN zootie, LN cap, white UV shirt.
– IPSHA Football: LN polo, LN shorts, gold socks, moulded football boots.
– IPSHA Flippaball/Water Polo: LN racing swimsuit.
Loreto Sports Girl: Zoe Lawson
Current sport/activity: AFL for school and club (Westbrook).
Favourite school sport/activity: AFL.
Highest level of sporting achievement: State Softball (2016).
Best moment of Loreto Sport for you: Running in the All Schools relays and coming third in our age group (Year 8).
Favourite sporting moment as a spectator: watching the Richmond vs GWS Grand Final.
Best subject at school: PAS and PDHPE.
Any superstitions before playing sport: Pumping myself up before any game.
Best tune to listen to before competing: Up in the Clouds by Skegss.
We love seeing photos of our girls enjoying sport but, unfortunately, we can’t be everywhere at once. If you’re out and about over the weekend at your daughter’s fixtures, please send through any snaps you get to email@example.com.
If you’re on Twitter, you can follow us at @loretonhsport – tweet us and use the hashtag #LetsGoLoreto and we’ll retweet as many as we can!
If you’re on Facebook, our page is at www.facebook.com/LoretoNHSport
Saturday Sports BBQ
Week 2, Saturday 15 February
Team & Game Time
BBQ Duty Time
|LON01 & LON02 – 8:00am||7:30am-8:45am||North, Pollard, Orth|
|LON03 & LON11 – 9:15am||8:45am-10:15am||Rakuljic, Bordignon, Byrne, Hillier|
|LON07 & LON12 – 10:30am||10:00am-11:15am||Granger, Harris, Gibbons|
Duties involve cooking on the BBQ or serving. If you are unable to fulfil your duty you must arrange a replacement (contact other day girls’ families in your team from the team contact list).
2020 Sport Contacts Term 1
|IPSHA Sports||Mrs Emily Wood|
|Midweek Activities||Mrs Emily Wood|
|IGSSA Water Polo||Mr Stephen Charters|
|Hornsby Tennis||Mr David Brock|
|IGSSA Touch Football||Mrs Kristie Greville|
|AFL||Mrs Emily Wood|
|Hayden Fitness Centre||Mrs Kristie Greville|
|Midweek Activities||Mrs Emily Wood|
|Cheerleading||Mrs Emily Wood|
|Rowing||Mr Ian Edmunds|
|Duke of Edinburgh Award||Mrs Laura Bryan|
|Head of Sport||Mr Matt Mulroney|
For IGSSA competitions, the full draw points table, venue lists and wet weather details see the IGSSA website here.
Mr Matt Mulroney
Head of Sport