Primary School News
Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud
This week, Senior Constable Paterson, the Youth Liaison Officer from the Hills Local Area Command came to talk to the Primary girls about staying safe online. His presentation covered topics such as how young people are using technology to for online grooming, cyber-bullying, inappropriate content and e-security.
Here are his top 10 tips for staying safe on the Internet.
- Use a strong password, a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols, eg P@$$w0rd! and change it regularly.
- Avoid opening or clicking links in emails from people you do not know and aren’t expecting – they could contain a virus or malicious software.
- Don’t give out personal information over the internet or on mobile phones about you, your family and friends.
- Only accept friend requests from people you know and trust.
- Make sure your social media accounts are set to private or friends only. Check privacy settings regularly as they can change.
- The legal minimum age to open an account on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Kik, and Snapchat is 13.
- Be aware of how to block, report and delete users on all your accounts and apps.
- If an image or post is something you would not be comfortable sharing with your parents or grandparents, reconsider, the internet never forgets.
- Be careful who you trust online. Making new friends can be fun, but there’s a chance that they may not be who they say they are.
- Words are powerful, use them for good.
A Loreto Journey
We thank Sr Frances Browne IBVM for visiting the Primary School this week to talk to us about her Loreto journey. We also thank Ms Rowena Curtis, Records Manager and Archivist, who displayed Loreto memorabilia from years gone by.
From Year 6
As part of our Religion work this term, Year 6 have been looking images of women in the media and how we are influenced by these. We listed the qualities that we think women should have and named examples of women who embodied these qualities.
The girls then completed some questions about a woman they admire. Here are some of their responses.
- What is her name? Ellen Sara Roberts
- How old is she? 25 years old
- What are her best qualities? Her best qualities are her ability to bounce back and to be resilient in tough times.
- What do you admire about her? I admire her courage and originality. That she didn’t give up when she failed and just tried harder eventually making the State Softball team.
- What is her name? Bethany Hamilton
- How old is she? 28 years old
- What are her best qualities? That she never gives up and keeps on trying.
- What do you admire about her? The thing that I admire the most about her is that after the shark attacked her at the age of 18 she still kept on surfing. Now she has a two year old son and is winning surf competitions.
- What is her name? Katrina Mary Julia Leonardi
- How old is she? 52
- What are her best qualities? She is kind and caring. She stands up for what she believes in.
- What do I admire and respect about her? She loves me and is a good role model. I respect her because she teaches me, loves me and understands me.
Mrs Maryanne Dwyer
Head of Primary