Year 12 post-trial experience
Congratulations to our Year 12 students who have almost completed their HSC Trial examinations, with the last examination taking place on Monday 19 August. We wish to congratulate them on the collaborative efforts they made in the lead up to their exams, working well with their peers and teachers to revise for these assessments.
Upon their return to school, Year 12 students are encouraged to approach the feedback they receive with positivity and a growth mindset. Students will be asked to set SMART goals for improvement in each of their subjects. We encourage you to discuss the examination feedback with your daughter and ask them about the goals that they are formulating. Students should then develop a concrete and realistic study plan to map their time for the remainder of the term. They will have the opportunity to discuss their goals and study plans with their tutors/teachers in the coming weeks. It is also important for students to continue with a collaborative approach to their studies. Working with their peers at this stage is a certain key to improvement.
The following guidance comes from our subscription to Dr Prue Salter’s Enhanced Learning Educational Services website. All parents can access this via their daughter’s log-in details. There is a tab that is specifically dedicated to Parents. Such resources will be used with Year 12 students to enhance their study practice in the coming weeks. We encourage all parents to also access the site for guidance.
Within a week or so after the test:
- If you did a particular section really badly, redo it and ask your teacher to have a look and see if you have improved.
- Rewrite and submit essay questions you did poorly in.
- Update all your study notes and summaries with things you need to remember for next time based on what your learnt from the exam.
- Write a list of what you need to remember for next time.
- Check you really understand the things you got wrong. Don’t just leave them as they will come back to haunt you one day! Instead, ask your teacher to help you understand them.
- Make a list of the topic areas your are weak on or will need to review again. Many of the subsequent topics you study will build upon these so it is important that you build a solid foundation of knowledge.
- Talk with your teacher about what you could do to improve.
Best wishes to all of our Year 12 students in the coming weeks.
The Learning Office staff
Dates to Remember – Term 3 2019
|Year 12 Trial HSC Examinations||Thursday 1 August – Monday 19 August|
|HSC Showcase||Friday 30 August|
|Year 12 Graduation Awards Ceremony||Friday 20 September – 10:30am | Gym|
|Year 11 Examinations||Monday 2 September – Friday 13 September|
Dates to Remember – Term 4 2019
|HSC Examinations||Thursday 17 October to Monday 11 November|
|Year 10 Examinations||Monday 28 October to Tuesday 5 November|
|Year 10 SPRINT & LAUNCH||Monday 18 November to Friday 29 November|
Years 7 – 11
|Year 7 – 11 Awards Ceremony 2019||Thursday 5 December – 12:45pm | Gym|
|HSC Results Principal’s Morning Tea||Friday 22 November – 8:30am | Reception Room|