Each week in our newsletter we highlight a number of key events and opportunities coming up, if you would like a full and comprehensive list please follow the link below:
Our school community can access the news and calendar:
For this week’s news on the website: CLICK HERE
Future Job Prospects
Interested in Teaching? Occupational Therapy? Law, Engineering? Have you considered a trade?
Year 12 students are strongly encouraged to book a time to meet with a Careers Advisor either before the end of term or early next term. Please note that the Careers office is open to all students in all years. We are usually in the office before and after school and at recess and lunch. Girls are most welcome to drop in but at times we can be busy with students, so the best thing to do is to send an email to Mrs Carmel Donnan or Ms Katrina Smith indicating your availability or drop in with your diary to schedule a time.
What’s on in the school holidays?
Some great workshops and information sessions are available – book early to avoid disappointment.
18 to 19 April 2016, 9am to 4pm, UNSW Kensington Campus
The workshops are aimed at students in years 11 and 12. The days will involve students being guided by professionals to solve problems in a variety of disciplines in engineering.
13 and 22 April 2016, 1:30pm to 4pm, US Consulate General, Level 10 MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Place, Sydney
The session will provide information on undergraduate applications in the US and sport scholarships. These are for high school students and parents interested in studying in the US. RSVP is required for the event.
Foundations of Debating – Years 7 to 9, 13 to 15 April 2016, 9am to 3pm
Practice Debates – Years 7 to 9, 14 to 15 April 2016, 9am to 3pm
Foundations of Debating – Years 7 to 9, 11 to 12 April 2016, 9am to 3pm
30 April 2016, 10am to 2pm, 46-52 Mountain St, Ultimo, NSW 2007
Open day provides the opportunity for interested students to hear from industry experts, participate in workshops, talk to lecturers and current students and more. Registration for the day is free.
18 to 22 April 2016, 1:30pm to 5pm
4 to 8 July 2016, 1:30pm to 5pm
11 to 15 July 2016, 1:30pm to 5pm
These courses cover structuring text, organizing information, writing introduction, developing supporting paragraphs and writing conclusions. To book a place, follow the link above.
- Condobolin: Defence Careers Information Session – 9 April 2016, 6:30pm
- Bathurst: Defence Careers Information Session – 11 April 2016, 1pm
- Albury: Women in Defence Information Session – 11 April 2016, 6pm
- Wollongong: Women in Defence Information Session – 12 April 2016, 6pm
- Sydney: Army Reserve Information Session – 12 April 2016, 6:30pm
- Wollongong: Defence Careers Information Session – 13 April 2016, 6pm
- Parramatta: Army Officer Information Session – 13 April 2016, 6:30pm
- Newcastle: Women in Defence Information Session – 18 April 2016, 6pm
- Parramatta: Trade Careers Information Session – 18 April 2016, 6:30pm
- Wollongong: Army Reserve Information Session – 19 April 2016, 6pm
- Canberra: General Entry Information Session – 19 April 2016, 6pm
- Lismore: Army Reserve Information Session – 19 April 2016, 6pm
- Newcastle: Army Reserve Information Session – 19 April 2016, 6:30pm
- Armidale: Army Reserve Information Session – 19 April 2016, 7:30pm
- Muswellbrook: Army Reserve Information – 19 April 2016, 7:30pm
Year 12 Opportunities
Applications now open.
Applications for the 2017 Young Achievers Early Offer program are now open and will close at 5:00pm on Friday 29 July 2016.
Applicants are able to apply in one of four categories:
- Commitment to community and/or Church;
- Commitment and excellence in cultural pursuits;
- Commitment and excellence in sporting achievements; or
- Academic excellence
Students who are successful in gaining an Early Offer place receive confirmation before they sit their final Year 12 exams.
Please don’t hesitate to direct any further enquiries to the Prospective Students Office on 02 8204 4404 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The courses run at various times throughout the year. There are preparation courses for Biology, Chemistry, Economics, exam preparation, Legal Studies, Music, Visual Arts, Business, Design and Technology, English, History, Mathematics and Physics. Dates for specific courses can be found with the link above.
Uni life doesn’t have to be a mystery. That’s why we’re opening our doors on Thursday 21 April to Year 11 and Year 12 students – that means you!
This is your chance to taste what a day in the life of a Macquarie student is really like. You’ll be able to:
- get a feel for our campus
- sit in on lectures and demos
- experience practicals and tutorials (pracs and tutes to those in the know)
- choose your own subjects and plan your own day
- ask lecturers and students all your burning questions about uni life at Macquarie.
Lunch is on us and look out for freebies, too.
Applications for a 2017 gap year are now open.
The ADF Gap Year program provides an opportunity for young Australians who have finished year 12 or equivalent, aged between 17 and 24, to experience military training & lifestyle whilst gaining new skills over a paid Gap Year.
- Are you currently a Year 12 student?
- Are you articulate, highly-motivated young person who enjoys working with other people?
- Can you demonstrate initiative? and
- Are you keen to contribute intelligently to the world of banking and finance.
A Business Cadetship enables you to combine study at the university of your choice with paid work at leading companies.
Applications are now open for the Business Cadet Program and close the 11 of May.
Information Day in Sydney – 2 May 2016, 3:30pm to 6pm, Mercure Sydney
The event will provide the chance for prospective students to find out more about programs, entry requirements, how to apply, how to accept an offer and accommodation options.
- 16 June 2016, 5:30pm
- 20 July 2016, 5:30pm
- 16 November 2016, 5:30pm
- 28 April 2016, 5:30pm
These sessions include interactive workshops that allow anyone interested in a career in nursing or midwifery to attend and find out more about the courses and potential career paths.
6 July 2016, 10:30am to 2pm, 160 Oxford St, Darlinghurst
For prospective students interested in nursing, the day allows students to meet academic staff, join in with clinical activities, campus tour and lectures. Students can register by following the link above and completing the attached form.
Mrs Carmel Donnan & Ms Katrina Smith